Job title: Programme Assistant Africa-Europe Foundation
Company: Friends of Europe
Job description: The Africa-Europe Foundation (AEF) is an entity co-founded by Friends of Europe and the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, in partnership with the African Climate Foundation and the ONE Campaign and with a multitude of stakeholders from civil society, business, policymaking and the youth sector across Africa and Europe. The purpose of the Africa-Europe Foundation is to facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogue, catalyse partnerships and unlock new opportunities that can transform Africa-Europe relations into action.
We are recruiting a Programme Assistant (traineeship) to provide support and assistance for a range of tasks, activities and events related to the Africa-Europe Foundation’s work. The AEF focusses on a set of priority thematic pillars to enhance cooperation between both continents in the face of the ongoing climate emergency and to ensure a shared and prosperous future for communities across both shores of the Mediterranean. These include, sustainable energy and agri-food systems, climate adaptation, health, digital economy and connectivity, including cross-cutting issues such as youth, gender, education, mobility, the involvement of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMES), and governance.
This is a great opportunity not only to understand the workings of both Friends of Europe as an independent, influential think tank and the Africa-Europe Foundation as the platform of platforms for Africa-Europe relations but also to develop your skills and experience. You will gain an understanding of multiple policy areas and have an opportunity for self-development and learning – as well as a chance to contribute to the dissemination of information through a variety of activities (such as debates, working groups and publications).
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY TRAINEESHIP?
At Friends of Europe, we see traineeships as a way of combining initial full-time work experience with hands-on training. That’s why our traineeships are for people who have recently graduated and are eager to acquire a first work experience.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
OUTREACH AND ADVOCACY (85%):
- Support the creation of outreach materials such as the monthly newsletter, social media content, blog post and data stories, and policy papers
- Research Africa-Europe policy updates in the areas of expertise of the Africa-Europe Foundation
- Track and monitor the media on the Africa-Europe and release the media weekly digest
- Assist with the organization of internal and external events (research, briefing notes) and meetings and ensure conformity to expected outputs, objectives and work plan
OTHER SUPPORT (15%):
- Support knowledge management and database administration;
- Support the relevant administrative tasks (e.g. managing correspondence, developing and maintaining a filing system, providing logistical arrangements, background documentation, report writing)
- Provide general support across the organisation and supporting the Programme Managers / Leadership Team as required.
WHAT SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED TO HAVE?
- A highly-motivated personality, hands-on and well-organised
- Able to meet deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
- ‘Can do’ / ‘solution-oriented’ mentality
- Able to work in a multicultural team and with minimum supervision
- A particular interest in working on Africa-Europe relations
Education & Experience
- Relevant university degree (for example relating to political science, international studies)
- Research experience combined with good analytical skills
Knowledge & skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of and interest in at least one of the following thematic areas: Africa-Europe Relations and/or more generally European and global affairs
- Fluency in spoken and written English; other languages are an asset
- Excellent writing skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Knowledge of social media and information platforms to gather key content is a plus
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Equal Opportunities Friends of Europe is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for all applicants, by providing equal treatment of all job applications received, regardless of applicants’ ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, disability or health status. We especially encourage applications from those who have been historically excluded or not had fair and equal opportunities to apply.
- This position is open to nationals of EU/EEA member states or Switzerland, and to non-EU nationals in possession of a valid work permit.
- Candidates must be legally and permanently allowed to work in Belgium (no assistance provided to obtain a visa or work permit).
COMMITMENT TO EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
- We expect from our employees that they commit themselves to follow and respect the Friends of Europe equal opportunities policy.
HOW DO YOU APPLY?
The position is to start as soon as possible and will be based in Brussels.
- Interested candidates are asked to upload their CV and cover letter in English in electronic format to the CV Warehouse tool on our website friendsofeurope.org(careers).
- Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an interview on a rolling basis.
Work and Live in Germany? find jobs and information about visa language and applications here Jobs-in-Germany.net