Job title: Post Doc, Data Scientist
Company: Johnson & Johnson
Job description: Job Description:
PostDoc, Data Scientist
Data Analysis of Advanced In-Vitro models of Liver and Gastro-Intestinal Toxicity
Janssen is hiring an enthusiastic and committed data scientist to support the project HOBOTA, High Dimensional & Organoid-based Organ Toxicity Assessment. This is a two-year project funded by VLAIO (Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship). HOBOTA is a collaborative effort between Hubrecht Organoid Technology (HUB), the Free University of Brussels (VUB) and Janssen Pharmaceutica with the aim to explore and validate advanced in vitro 3D cell culture systems as predictive toxicology tools, and scale up these assays to permit their use for safety assessment in early drug discovery.
As the primary image and data analysis scientist for HOBOTA, you will collaborate with the biology teams to establish and optimize highly informative readouts, including high content imaging and transcriptomics, and guide the optimization of the assay system towards sensitivity and reproducibility. You will be integrated with Janssen’s image analysis, data analysis and machine learning teams, and apply supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques to the HOBOTA data with a goal of predicting adverse clinical events. The ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge of data science combined with a basic knowledge of cell biology or pharmacology.
A 2-year grant funded position is offered, and the post-doctoral scientist will be based at the Janssen Pharmaceutica site in Beerse (Belgium) where he/she will be part of the High Dimensional and Computational Biology (HDCB) team and collaborate closely with the Global Predictive, Investigative and Translational Toxicology (PITT) Team. Additionally, this highly collaborative project offers the opportunity to also closely collaborate with experts at HUB and VUB.
This position will allow you to engage in an exciting and growing scientific field and work within multidisciplinary teams using state-of-the-art technology. A competitive remuneration will be offered.
CLICK TO GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT LIFE @ Johnson & Johnson
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Evaluate analysis methods to extract maximum information content from complex raw data such as 2D and 3D microscopy images and high-throughput transcriptomics, and coordinate with IT to implement the best solutions.
- Work closely with the biology teams on experiment design and the optimization of experimental parameters for specificity and sensitivity of the test systems.
- Apply supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques to distinguish low-risk from high-risk compounds, identify mechanistic causes, and build predictive models, in collaboration with Janssen’s data science and machine learning teams.
- Assess the added value of high content endpoints (e.g. microscopy, transcriptomics) compared to simpler and cheaper readouts (e.g. cell viability), and assess the added value of 3D spheroid and organoid cultures as testing platforms vs. traditional 2D cultures of cell lines.
- Contribute to the project progress reports and the publication of the obtained results.
Qualifications & Experience:
- You have a PhD in data science, statistics, bioinformatics, or a related field, or you will defend your PhD thesis within the next 3 months. Preferably, you have prior experience applying these skills in a pharmacology or biology research environment.
- You have an active interest in analyzing complex high-dimensional data with state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to generate actionable predictions and recommendations.
- Experience in image analysis, of 2D and/or 3D images, is preferred.
- You know how to function as part of a multi-disciplinary team and have strong communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your methodology and conclusions to scientists trained in other fields.
- You can work independently with minimal supervision and possess critical thinking.
- Excellent English communication skills (written and oral) are a must.
- An exciting position in an international and dynamic environment with continuous learning and growth opportunities
- Working on a site that harbors all aspects of the drug discovery process, located close to the vibrant city of Antwerp.
- A competitive salary, on-site sport accommodations, health/energy programs and other benefits for you and your family.
- An inclusive team environment where diversity and different opinions are respected and valued, and the importance of a good work-life balance is recognized.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)
Location: Beerse, Antwerpen
Job date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 07:44:44 GMT
Apply for the job now! – Submit your Resume
Work and Live in Germany? find jobs and information about visa language and applications here Jobs-in-Germany.net