Job title: Information Technology Support Officer /Corporate Services Assistant ( DEU21.010)
Company: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Job description: The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Corporate Services Support
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Currently, we’re looking for a part-time Information Technology Support Officer (ITSO) and Corporate Services (CS) Assistant.
Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the work of the British Consulate-General, Düsseldorf. The Consulate-General represents British interests in the German federal states of North Rhine Westphalia, Hesse, Rhineland-Palatinate and the Saarland, with a focus on business relations and support to British citizens.
This role provides IT and administrative (Corporate Services – CS) support to the Consulate-General, reporting to the Corporate Services Officer (CSO) in Düsseldorf, liaising closely with the British Embassy, Berlin and Consulate-General, Munich.
You will provide local IT and infrastructure management support to a team of approx. 28 users. This includes the upkeep of onsite IT systems, hardware, telephones, and network, in line with UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) policies. You will handle liaison with the FCDO IT departments and act as the main point of contact for the introduction of up-grades and system change projects.
You will play a key role in local cash management and procurement to support operations and invoice processing and provide general operational and logistical support, as back-up to the Corporate Services Officer.
Roles and responsibilities :
- Overall daily management of all aspects of all IT, telecommunications and video-conferencing related queries, working closely with the CSO and colleagues in the wider CS Germany team in Berlin & Munich.
- Administering and maintaining the Consulate’s local area networks.
- Proactively maintaining IT Infrastructure, reporting incidents and performance issues promptly and escalating through the correct channels where necessary.
- Liaise with FCDO colleagues based in the UK to resolve local IT issues and act as a point of contact for technical visits.
- Managing accurate inventory of locally-held IT equipment.
- First point of contact for official telephone and internet connections.
- Responsibility for local accounting duties at the Consulate-General, meeting monthly deadlines and other local budget financial reporting duties, working closely with the British Embassy, Berlin.
- Postal duties – Maintenance of postal franking machine, diplomatic bags, re-direction of enquiries.
- Providing back-up for the CSO during absences with Health & Safety and security issues, liaison with the external facilities management provider and other external contacts etc.
- Make a corporate contribution to supporting the team ethos of the Germany Network, together with the British Embassy, Berlin & Consulate-General, Munich.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required in support of the wider work of the Consulate-General, such as crisis planning and the organisation of large-scale events.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Fluent written and spoken English and German (minimum level required C1 under the CEFRL or equivalent*);
- Working knowledge of IT hardware and software;
- High standard of self-organisation, attention to detail and delivery;
- Strong communication skills, with both internal and external customers;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Recent experience of relevant administrative work;
- Able to work independently and together with internal and external colleagues in teams;
- Excellent IT skills, especially standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook).
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Previous experience in the IT field;
- Knowledge of networking solutions and an understanding of network infrastructure;
- Experience of working with Oracle databases;
- Familiarity with basic budgeting and accounting processes.
Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
21 February 2021
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Part-Time
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
Starting yearly salary (EUR)
€22,782 gross per annum rising to €25,591 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay. (Salary is not negotiable)
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
1 April 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a part-time position of 18.75 hours per week, for a contract period of two years. Working patterns : Flexible working policy. The successful candidate will be expected to attend the office each working day and to share duties on a rota basis to open the Consulate at 07:40.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General in Düsseldorf are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
The Düsseldorf Consulate has a strong ethos of Learning and Development. There are regular opportunities to attend internal and external seminars and events on issues of wider interest. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Consulate staff. Further training provided for IT and Security elements of the position.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate-General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link . Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Location: Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen
Job date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 05:41:59 GMT
Apply for the job now! – Submit your Resume
Work and Live in Germany? find jobs and information about visa language and applications here Jobs-in-Germany.net