Job title: Assistant to Permanent Representative (BEL21.006)
Company: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Job description: The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The United Kingdom’s Joint Delegation to NATO is the vital link between the UK Government and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. Its principal roles are to promote British interests in NATO and to keep UK Ministers and Government Departments informed about NATO discussions. The UK Delegation (UKDEL) is now looking for a part-time Assistant to Permanent Representative to join the UK Permanent Representative to NATO for a fixed-term contract of 3 months.
- The main responsibility is to provide executive support to the Permanent Representative (PermRep) and to assist in the smooth running of the PermRep’s outer office, by providing secretarial and general office support to the PermRep and other members of the delegation’s Senior Leadership Team. Line management of an A2 member of the team (Diary Secretary or Residence Coordinator).
- You will be a confident and calm colleague who can work independently in a high profile, fast paced environment. Flexibility, calmness under pressure and discretion are required at all times.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Co-ordination of weekly business of the North Atlantic Council (NAC), and other Ambassadorial meetings, to ensure the PermRep is fully prepared for each day.
- Commissioning and coordination of briefing for NACs and other appointments.
- Support PermRep during, and in preparation for, Ministerial meetings.
- Coordination of VIP inward visits working with Business Management Team.
- Budget monitoring for PermReps travel and entertainment.
- UK Representative on the NATO Council Co-ordination Group (CCG).
- Liaison with Allies, International Staff across NATO as well as first point of contact for PermRep Residence Coordinator.
- Line manage and oversee the work of the Diary Secretary or Residence Coordinator (to be determined).
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Fluency level of English language both oral and written (written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*) and good communication skills;
- Have proven previous office experience, preferably at a senior or representational level, and able to deliver results;
- Have strong IT skills;
- Have previous budgetary experience;
- Enjoy working in a team but with the ability to work independently;
- Have an open and flexible approach, drawing on the skills and experience of others to improve results;
- Be prepared to work late on occasion;
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Have an understanding of French.
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
7 February 2021
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Part-Time
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
UK Joint Delegation to NATO, Brussels
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (EUR)
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
1 April 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a part-time, fixed-term contract of 3 months. Working pattern two and a half days per week – Shift system to be negotiated(18 hours net).The monthly gross salary for this position is € 2,107.01, B3 level. In addition, we offer an extensive salary package, which includes a 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme , reimbursement of public transport and a lot more. We offer more days of annual leave than the Belgian requirements.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
– You may experiment some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
– Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
– Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link . Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Expected salary: €2107.01 per month
Job date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 05:33:13 GMT
Apply for the job now! – Submit your Resume
Work and Live in Germany? find jobs and information about visa language and applications here Jobs-in-Germany.net