Job title: Assistant to Defence Attaché (HUN21.011)
Company: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Job description: The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
MOD (Ministry of Defence)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Note: due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Hungary is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an Assistant to the Defence Attaché to support non-resident Defence Attaché in strengthening UK-Hungary bilateral defence relationship and deepening multilateral cooperation on defence and security issues.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Liaise at the operational level with Hungarian Ministry of Defence, influence and proactively develop contacts with the Ministry and maintain strong relationship with key personalities.
- Manage and implement the Defence Bilateral Activity Programme between Hungary and UK. This also includes high-level representational work, event management, organisational and administrative work.
- Maintain awareness of the defence strategic context of the bilateral relationship and be on-hand to update senior internal Embassy staff and UK Desk Officers at short-notice.
- Co-ordinate and organise all official, diplomatic and ceremonial events and/or visits.
- Provide office management and smooth running of Defence Section in Hungary. Represent Non-Resident Accredited (NRA) DA as required.
- Maintain accounts and manage budget (including monthly section account and Government Procurement Card reconciliation and forecasting).
- Responsible for obtaining all UK diplomatic clearances for aircraft, vehicles and adventurous training.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent English and Hungarian both verbal and written (minimum C1 level for CEFR framework *);
- Previous experience in office administration and event planning and management;
- Bachelor degree;
- Outstanding verbal, presentation and written skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills for influencing at all levels;
- Self-motivated, independent and effective team-player;
- Computer skills, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Ability to travel in country and occasionally abroad, sometimes over night or more.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Defence Section Experience and thorough knowledge of UK and Hungarian defence priorities.
- An impressive range of contacts at Hungarian MOD and throughout Hungarian Defence Forces;
Seeing the Big Picture, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
21 February 2021
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (HUF)
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
1 April 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time position of 5 days (35 hours net per week) for a fixed-term contract of two years with the possibility of extension by mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. You must have pre-existing work authorisation for Hungary in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Hungarian employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Hungary and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
– You may experiment some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
– Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
– Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link . Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Job date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 06:11:26 GMT
Apply for the job now! – Submit your Resume
Work and Live in Germany? find jobs and information about visa language and applications here Jobs-in-Germany.net