Job title: Administrative Assistant (G-4)
Job description: VA ID: 1224
Grade Level: G-4
Division: Office of the Executive Secretary
Section: Quality Man. and Performance Monitoring
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term Appointment
Date of Issuance: 23/11/2021
Deadline for Applications: 22/12/2021
Reference No.: VA115-1224-2021
Reporting Date: as soon as possible
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Quality Management and Performance Monitoring Section under the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES).
Under the supervision of the Chief, Quality Management and Performance Monitoring Section, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support by maintaining and updating the electronic and hardcopy filing system of memos, reports and other documentation for the Section; typing routine correspondence, ensuring that grammar and spelling are correct; distributing reports, memos and outgoing mail and following-up on approvals where necessary; screening, sorting, filing and distributing incoming mail;
- Provide additional administrative support by screening telephone calls and visitors; making appointments for the Supervisor; arranging meetings; certifying timesheets; preparing travel authorization for staff of the Section using SAP; assisting in preparation of consultants‘ contracts; processing related travel arrangements, including visa and tickets; assisting in procurement actions for the Section; preparing requisitions and keeping track of their status; following-up on pending matters and keeping track of deadlines to be met;
- Perform office management tasks for the Section, such as management of stationaries and supplies, coordinating with relevant sections for servicing/maintenance of office/IT equipment, etc.;
- Maintain and update the Section’s intranet website and mailing lists; Keep track of travel and leave plans and submit time and attendance reports;
- Support the organization of workshops and expert group meetings, as necessary preparing announcements, agendas, compiling background material, keeping checklists and assist in preparing PowerPoint presentations; process travel arrangements and liaise with the host or assigned persons on hotel and per diem payments and claims;
- Provide assistance to the staff in the Section in reviewing contents of documents related to the activities of the section (procedures and practices, archived documentation, etc.,), reviewing completeness of documentations; assisting in updating the Section’s dashboards and other assistance as necessary;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completed secondary education and appropriate office training.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least three (3) years relevant working experience in particular in the field of administrative services, general office support or related area, preferably part of which should have been in an international environment;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to maintain and update office databases;
- Knowledge of Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems (SAP) is desirable;
- Thoroughness and excellent attention to detail is essential;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focus on impact and respond positively to constructive feedback.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as requested; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others‘ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients‘ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients‘ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients‘ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness – Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: ). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- This position is for local recruitment only. Only candidates holding a valid residence and work permit in Austria will be considered eligible.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment histroy in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.
Work and Live in Germany? find jobs and information about visa language and applications here Jobs-in-Germany.net